Friday 3 June 2011

Half Term is Over.

MMMMMM so this is Blogging huh? I'm told this is the new prattling on but in a public way.


So anyway today was the last day of Half term week, a day that in previous years would have given way for huge celebration and a frantic hunt for PE kit! but today I feel a bit sad in truth, I have really enjoyed this week with the children home.


I think half the reason that we have enjoyed this week was the appearance of a Steam Fair at Margate, just a short drive up the Thanet way and hurrah the seaside appears.  We visited the Fair twice this week and it was totally fab even my Teenage daughter suggested it was 'fun'!! I know 14 and having fun with her family , unlikely but true!  
On the first visit we had a go on the 1940s arcade, this was a total giggle with rather tacky prizes being awarded making it all the better, I mean who doesn't love candy cigarettes as a prize huh?  Then the lure of Hot Fresh Doughnuts proved too much for Gareth and the Kids, but they take a few minutes to cook.  A few minutes I suggested could be best spent on the swingboat ride ( in my defense I had NOT seen this in action and thought it would be quite sedate) this was a huge immensely idiotic idea, DO NOT EVER take an autistic child on such a ride, certainly when they have a broken wrist and happen to be scared of heights.  So several minutes later when we emerged from the no longer swinging (pivoting wildly) boat I presumed the doughnuts wouldn't be wanted, I was wrong they were inhaled. Then we left the fair worried that Noah would be too traumatized to ever leave the house with us again. 


So today we returned to the fair, ok we didn't have to sign contracts about the Swingboat Ride but it was close,  I wasn't surprised when we started the visit back at the arcade, Noah very much enjoys the opportunity to win plastic soldiers.  I was however surprised when he asked to go on the waltzers.  I suggested we watch a ride cycle so he could see what happened during the ride, we did and this did nothing to curb his enthusiasm so I happily handed over £6 for me and the children to go on the ride (Gareth being wheelchair bound isn't allowed or able to join in).  I have never ever been on faster waltzers in my entire life but it was great fun, the sound of Noah laughing his way through the experience made it so much better! well that and 14yr old Jasmine complaining of feeling quite ill anyway.  
The ride over he then dragged me to the up and down merrygoround thingy, with chickens and coaches oh you know the type.  This ride was apparently disappointing as it wasn't (and I quote) 'Fast enough to make you feel like hurling your dinner everywhere' so the situation was remedied by another go on the waltzers.
Realizing I was rapidly running out of money I suggested we have a wander along the sea front, this didn't help as the lure of Hot Doughnuts once again proved too tempting, these made everybody thirsty so then we had to stop for drinks too.  It was then the idea of a visit to the new Turner Gallery came up, well its Free admission so why not??? 
Why not? this is not a gallery to take children too, even the little shop had artistically priced souvenirs, so after wandering around becoming more confused by modern art then before we left for Margate old town.
We had a little wander around the very artistically priced shops and pretty streets finding time to gawp at the windows of the Cupcake Cafe (I now feel completely incapable as a cupcake baker) before heading back to the car.  A coastal route was chosen by the passengers who as a majority were asleep the entire route, this does tend to happen.  We dropped into Faversham town on the way home so Gareth and the kids could restock on doughnuts (iced ones this time) then it was time for home so Jasmine could cook her ever famous Carrot and sausage-meat plait for dinner.


So that was it, last day of half term done, now I'm drinking beer and watching pro grammes off the Sky+ that the kids recorded in the event we forced them to come out. I mean its not as if they had fun or anything !!

2 comments:

  1. Well done Jenny. What a fab holiday. Look forward to reading more adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, I shall try to do this properly xx

    ReplyDelete