Sunday 5 June 2011

Rain and healthy cake.

Today the rain came, not fine summer showers but the kind that makes the wheelchair ramp turn into an urban waterfall.  I think the patch of waste land I jokingly refer to as a garden is enjoying finally getting water on it though the tortoise doesn't seem to keen on this opportunity to get wet.
The children successfully managed to convince us that they should be allowed some Xbox time, they were of course more then happy to tidy their rooms and help with the task of rescuing the house from the abuses of half term first.  More then happy means they obviously believed my threat that involved poultry shears and power leads was genuine, oh yes I'm one of 'those' parents!
Gareth discovered the entire day had been given to coverage of Touring Cars on ITV4, he wasted no time in commandeering the remotes and total control of the Sky box, leaving me pretty certain we need to invest in multi room.  In fairness he doesn't often get control of the TV, none of us do with the exception of Noah who by the age of 4 had memorized the entire list of childrens channel numbers and treats us most weekends with wall to wall cartoons!


This left me at a bit of a loose end, so naturally I met this head on as I usually do with my recipe books, the new Kenwood Chef will be worth every penny by the time I'm finished.
After some intense thought and random page flicking, cupboard exploring and tutting I decided on two separate baking projects.  Home made doughnuts (like the kids hadn't eaten enough of these this week) and a Banana cake with a difference; in order to support Gareth in his diet it would be made with Wholemeal flour.


I was quite happy in the kitchen pottering about and making happy smells appear when suddenly I noticed that I hadn't actually thought of dinner, and it was nearing dinner time. Never fear there must be something in the freezer yes? well yes there was, it appears I have developed a habit of buying sausages, I mean every variety including sausage meat and cocktail ones but the freezer only had them and frozen veg.  A quick dash to the supermarket and Gareth produced minced beef and a sweet potato, yum tasty cottage pie was quickly assembled.


So that basically brings us to this evening, everybody all snuggled up on the sofas and ready for the return to the mundane routine of school runs etc but happy and with full bellies knowing that we had a great week together even the day when the rain arrived and I ruined cake by making it healthy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment